Notes from breakout session #4 at Echo 2013
Communication Track > Mastering Social Media: Part 1 > Tim Schraeder
When Jesus said, “follow Me,” He didn’t just mean on Twitter. Social media presents some incredible opportunities for churches, parachurch organizations, and Christian leaders. We’ve never been more equipped with the means to reach more people with the Gospel and with this amazing opportunity comes a tremendous responsibility. In this session we’ll cover some basics about social media as well as providing a Biblical framework to approach how we do everything social media — from Twitter and Facebook, to Instagram and blogging and everything in-between. Whether you’re just starting out or need to refresh the basics, this session will help you to prepare to engage and connect with people… in 140 characters or less.
With every cultural revolution that’s taken place, there’s been an accompanying message of the gospel.
The church website is more so the front door than ever, and social media = greeters
He told them, “You don’t get to know the time. Timing is the Father’s business. What you’ll get is the Holy Spirit. And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world.” ~ Acts 1:8
Social media isn’t the answer but we can use it to point people to the answer.
Its about creating online connections that foster offline community
What would it look like if we took the time to listen?
“The master said, ‘Then go to the country roads. Whoever you find, drag them in. I want my house full! Let me tell you, not one of those originally invited is going to get so much as a bite at my dinner party.’” ~ Luke 14:23
- Mine content from Sunday messages to keep the message going
- Post image slides on pinterest or instagram
- Invite people to tell a story via video on instagram
- Tweet the tweetable quotes and use your personal social networks to saturate the airwaves
- People value authenticity and want to know who the pastor really is. It makes them more human and relatable.
- Monitor instagram for posts made at the location (have to figure out how to do this)
What are you doing with the tools you have in your hands (phone)
Social media is the printing press of our generation and God wants to use it! ~ JeriKris_L
A few Links of interest
- Tim Schraeder on Twitter: https://twitter.com/timschraeder
- Josh Burns’ notes from this session: http://joshburns.net/blog/?p=2428
- Follow up “Social Media = The Greeters of your Church” by Josh Burns
- Find ways to make mining Sunday message content more practical
- Consider ways to use Instagram